5 Jan 2011

My fifth bike was a 1958 Harley Sporster


Was a 1958 or so Harley-Davidson Sportster XLCH (this is the 1960 model in the picture), which was over ten years old at the time. A couple of remarks here. First I am no longer a fan of Harleys, as I have already said once, but I owned two at one time once. Well, times change and so do we. Second this a a slightly dishonest entry because, although I did own this bike for a while, I never actually got it on the road. When I bought it, having borrowed the money from my elder brother since I was an impoverished student at the time and was already running my 1945 (or so) Harley 750 WLC as an everyday bike, it looked pretty much like this....




Not having a garage at the time I took it apart some more and kept in in my studio/living room for a while (I was at art school at the time). The plan was, of course, to rebuild it properly, but lack of time, mechanical skills, and cash (the dollar was pretty high to the pound at the time and remember I was a student). When I moved to a posher area in order to be nearer my school, my flat-mate, not to mention girl friends, kind of objected to sharing the new, smarter flat with this thing as well as me, and it had to go. So, to my great regret, I have never actually ridden a Sportster. Maybe one day, but I have to say that it is very far from being top of my "must do some time" list.