20 Feb 2011

Guzzi Guzzi (again)

At the risk of becoming boring, the day I published my short article and series of photographs of Moto Guzzi specials that I find both attractive and interesting for a sometime project, an article showing a rather horrible one appeared on the (otherwise excellent) daily bike site called Bike Exif. Here it is:


Now this thing (to me, obviously) has it all wrong. They call it a "café racer", but it has high bars and knobbly tyres. Ok so it is for off-road use? No way! Its exhaust goes under the engine, making it totally unsuitable even for going off a pavement (sidewalk) onto the street, let alone doing anything off-road. Also, on the practical side, the lack of a front mudguard is silly. On the aesthetic aspect of things, the colour of the seat is nasty, the number plate on the side is plain silly, but the rest is not so bad. Ok, nuff said...

What is very good about Bike Exif is that, with its almost daily offerings of very varied machines, always well photographed, it now provides links to two other bikes made either with a kindred spirit or around the same basic model. And this time I hit gold!

Take a look...



Mmmm, just love that. No silly tyres, plenty of oomph, and a feeling that this is built to be ridden fast. Let's have another pic...


Mmmm, I like that! And a bit of detail...



Not bad, even if I'm not so keen on this fashion for nappy-wrapping exhaust pipes. Now, if you care to go back to my quiz about which of the previously shown Guzzi specials I prefer http://morethanjustwine.blogspot.com/search/label/Motorbikes%20and%20other%20objects, you should be able to guess the answer now. The winning three are 2,4 and 6. The problem with 3, which isn't a bad effort otherwise, are those silly 1950's type tyres which surely don't grip well and the big one on the front must make the steering so heavy. Another silly fad in contemporary custom bike building. I told you I hate fashion.

Here we go with the winners. Now, anyone out there want to sponsor this project?